Development Permit

What is a development permit?

A development permit is not the same as a building permit. A development permit allows a specific use or type of development to occur on a specific piece of property as set out in the Zoning Bylaw. The development permit ensures that the proposed use can occur at the proposed location; the building or structure is positioned correctly on the site; site coverage is adequate; parking, landscaping, and proper architecture is provided (if required); geotechnical, hydrological, traffic impact assessment or other reports have been provided, if necessary. The development permit directly follows the regulations set out in the Zoning Bylaw. Development permits and the zoning Bylaw also control the architectural style and look of a building. Click here for more information on the Zoning Bylaw.

When is one required?

A development permit is required when it is desired to excavate, build, renovate, change the use or increase the intensity of a use on any property. If the structure is smaller than 10m2 but attached to or abutting (within 3 feet) a structure larger than 10m2, a development permit is required.


Please see the following guide of what is required to be attached to a Permit.

Permit Guide 


Printable Development Permit

How much do they cost?

When is one not required?

Work that does not *normally* initiate the development permit includes:

  • interior renovations which do not change the use or increase the intensity of the use, only a building permit is required in this instance.
  • Creating a structure less than 10m2 (at least 3 feet away from a structure larger than 10m2)
  • Changing siding with similar material
  • Changing shingles with similar material
  • Painting (interior or exterior), tiling, flooring
  • Installing shelves, cabinets or baseboards
  • Patching drywall
  • Changing windows or doors that do not alter the rough opening
  • Fences (there are regulations on height and placement here)
  • Driveways (there are regulations on the safe movement of vehicles and location of driveways here)
  • Sidewalks, paths, gardening
  • Tree planting (within your property)
  • Repairing or replacing plumbing fixtures
    • changing the location or length of pipe requires a plumbing permit from a plumbing contractor
  • Building a deck of any size when it is 8” or lower to the ground.

*Although a Development permit may not be required, the owner is responsible to ensure the project complies with the Zoning Bylaw and applicable provisions from The National Building Code of Canada.

What’s new