What is a building permit?
A Building Permit authorizes construction on a proposed/existing building or structure under the Town of Nipawin’s Building Bylaw and ensures the construction meets The National Building Code of Canada and The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act.
When is one required?
A building permit is required whenever it is desired to construct, erect, place, alter, repair, renovate or reconstruct a building or structure.
This includes items like:
- Building a deck or reconstructing a deck.
- Placing a purchased shed that is larger than 100 sq/ft
- Building an addition, regardless of its size
- Renovations altering interior walls which change the floorplan of the structure
- Finishing a basement
- Removing large portions of drywall from exterior walls
- Eliminating, creating, or altering the openings for windows and doors.
- Altering stairs
- Repairing or replacing any structural components of a building
Please see the guide of what is required to be attached to a Building Permit.
How much do they cost?
Project value (determined in accordance with the Building Bylaw)
Building Permit Fee
$1 - $5,000
$5,001 - $10,000
$10,001 - $15,000
$5 per $1,000 of permit value, $200.00 minimum.
When is one not required?
Work that does not *normally* initiate the building permit includes:
- Creating a structure less than 10m2 (at least 3 feet away from a structure larger than 10m2)
- Changing shingles with similar material
- If a replacement or change to structural components underneath the roof is required, then the Building permit process is initiated as it will need to be inspected.
- Painting (interior or exterior), tiling, flooring
- Installing shelves, cabinets or baseboards
- Patching drywall
- Changing windows or doors that do not alter the rough opening
- Fences (there are regulations on height and placement here)
- Driveways, sidewalks, paths, gardening
- Tree planting (within your property)
- Repairing or replacing plumbing fixtures
- changing the location or length of pipe requires a plumbing permit from a plumbing contractor
- Building a deck of any size when it is 8” or lower to the ground.
*Although a Building permit may not be required, the owner is responsible to ensure the project complies with the applicable provisions from The National Building Code of Canada.